As the mercury begins to rise, now is the time to fire up your motorhome and tackle all the best beaches, lakes, and bushwalks the sunshine state has to offer. Below are five of the best campgrounds for motorhomes on the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, and tropical North Queensland.
- Lake Moogerah – Each year hundreds of van tourers descend on this pristine patch of land nestled in the Scenic Rim about 80km west of the Gold Coast, and it’s easy to see why. Situated among rolling farmlands, Lake Moogerah is a must for thrillseekers looking to sharpen their water-skiing talents, or anyone in need of a relaxing getaway. The grounds boast both powered and unpowered van sites and are big rig-friendly.
- Tallebudgera Creek Tourist Park – On the banks of one of the most idyllic Gold Coast waterways, this park offers something for everyone. Campers serious about fishing and stand-up paddle boarding will feel at home, while hikers need only take to the nearby Burleigh Heads National Park to experience some of the best scenery the region has to offer, with glorious views up and down the golden sandy coastline. Ample barbecue facilities are available, along with three heated swimming pools.
- Palm Cove Holiday Park –A mere 30-minute hop, skip, and jump from Cairns City is all that is needed to find yourself in this tropical paradise. Visitors can unwind on the sandy beaches just metres away from their doorstep, or amble down the Melaleuca tree-lined esplanade to get their fine-dining and shopping fix. Free Wi-Fi is just one of a plethora of crowd-pleasing amenities available to travellers.
- Cotton Tree Holiday Park –Sunday markets, incredible ocean views, and boutique shopping await at this Sunshine Coast mainstay. Cotton Tree Holiday Park is the perfect destination for explorers wishing to spice up their motorhome adventure, with high-energy nightlife coming by way of the trendy bars and clubs that line the Mooloolaba coast.
- Binna Burra Campground – Due to the devastation of the recent South-East Queensland bushfires, much of Binna Burra is closed off and school holiday plans have been cancelled. However, the majestic site in the Lamington National Park will need all the support it can get in upcoming months, so don’t tick the hinterland retreat off your list for the future. When in operation, Binna Burra Campground sits at the doorstep of bushwalks that will take time to become teaming with native Australian wildlife again, which is why this area has been so popular.
Sporting knowledge of all the best campsites found in Queensland, the friendly experts at Avida can help field any enquiries about motorhomes. Gold Coast residents can visit their Burleigh Heads location, or alternatively phone (07) 5569 7899 for more information.